The final phase of the decision regarding the establishment of the institution was reached on November 2, 1947 when, presided by Nripendra Mohan Chakraborty, the first Governing Body of Dinabandhu Mahavidyalaya was constituted in the premises of Bongaon High School. The pioneers of the institution arrived at the decision that the same Bongaon High School would be the birthplace of the institution. The first classes were held in the historic red-bricked compound of the High School.
On December 21, 1947, the leading dailies of Bengal, namely the Ananda Bazar Patrika, the Amrita Bazar Patrika, and The Statesman featured the news of the affiliation of Dinabandhu Mahavidyalaya by the University of Calcutta. The West Bengal Government ratified the affiliation on April 15, 1948. The earnest endeavor of the Governing Body towards procuring land for the construction of the new college building was graced with success in June 1948.
On June 6 of the 1955-’56 academic session the college received affiliation for the B.Com and B.Sc. classes.
In 1963 the affiliation for the Bengali Honors stream was granted. Following this, several Honors and General Courses were initiated one by one. In 2003 Honors affiliation was granted in the subjects Botany, Chemistry, History. Affiliations for Sanskrit Honors and Philosophy Honors were acquired in 2004 and 2005 respectively. Honours affiliation was sanctioned to the subjects Geography and Education in 2005 & 2011 respectively.
The Naac Peer Team visited the institution in September, 2004. Assessing the quality of education imparted, the student-teacher rapport and the over all academic ambience of the institution, the Team graced the institution with ‘B’ grade.
A wing of the Netaji Subhas Open University, with the aim to provide undergraduate and post-graduate education in all streams, has started functioning in the college building on and from 1st July, 2006.
IGNOU Centre (Convergence Scheme) has been introduced in July’2008. Post Graduate course in Bengli was introduced in 2008 under West Bengal State University, Barasat.
Post Graduate courses were introduced under the Directorate of Open and Distance Learning under Kalyani University in History, English, Bengali and Education w.e.f. the 2009-2010 session.
Thus, this institution, since its inception, has been playing a highly important part in translating the dreams of countless students for higher studies into reality.